Views: 2 Author: Site Editor Publish Time: 2022-05-09 Origin: Site
Propylene glycol, PG, also known as 1,2-propanediol, or Mono Propylene Glycol, MPG, cas 57-55-6, is a colorless, odorless, and slightly sweet-tasting organic compound with the chemical formula C3H8O2. It is a diol or alcohol that is used in a wide range of applications, such as:
Food and beverage industry: PG is used as a humectant, solvent, and flavor carrier in food and beverage products, such as soft drinks, ice cream, baked goods, and snacks. It can also be used as a solvent for various spices and preservatives, and as an extraction solvent for vanilla beans, roasted coffee grains, natural spices, etc. Moisturizing and softening agent for candy, bread, packaged meat, cheese, etc. Also used as anti-mold auxiliary for noodles and filling cores.
Personal care and cosmetics industry: PG is used as a moisturizer, emulsifier, and solvent in various personal care and cosmetic products, such as skin care creams, lotions, deodorants, and hair care products.
Pharmaceutical industry: PG is used as a solvent and excipient in pharmaceutical formulations, such as oral and topical medications, and as a carrier for flavors and fragrances. Commonly used as a solvent for the manufacture of various ointments and creams. Propylene glycol is an intermediate of the fungicide tebuconazole.
Industrial applications: PG is used as a heat transfer fluid, coolant, and antifreeze in various industrial processes, such as hydraulic fluids, airplane deicing fluids, and as a component in manufacturing processes for polymers, resins, and synthetic fibers. It is also the raw material of plasticizer, dehydrating agent, surfactant, curing agent, binder, etc. It can also be used in paint, coating and other industries.
Veterinary medicine: PG is used as a solvent and carrier for active pharmaceutical ingredients in veterinary medicine formulations, such as topical and oral medications for pets.
PG is considered a safe and non-toxic compound when used as directed, and it has a long history of safe use in various industries. However, it should be noted that PG can be toxic if ingested in large amounts, and may cause skin irritation in some individuals. As with any chemical, proper handling and safety precautions should be followed when using PG.